The Assistant Executive Production Chef provides day-to-day operational direction to the Production Kitchen (PK). This position is responsible and accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary knowledge and talents while leading the staff and managing all food related functions, while developing and coaching their team on how to perform tasks. Works to continually improve guest and associate satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Assists the Executive Production Chef (EPC) in supervising all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved through coaching and consistent follow up with of their team. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all food preparation areas and all support areas (e.g., dish room and purchasing).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity and leads by example.
· Communicates the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes, ensuring associate understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes and procedures related to safety.
· Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
· Assist Executive Production Chef (EPC) in achieving and exceeding goals including performance, budget, team member retention, etc.
· Working with the Executive Production Chef (EPC) to identify the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors and helps others to improve their culinary knowledge or skills.
· Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and associates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
· Help to implement guidelines and control procedures for purchasing and receiving areas.
· Assist the EPC with providing guidance and clear direction to associates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance alongside of the EPC.
· Supervises and manages Production Kitchen associates. Manages all day-to-day operations and understands all associate positions well enough to train, coach and teach all positions to entire team to ensure that their team is cross trained in multiple stations and or departments.
· Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors and always leads by example.
· Analyzes information and evaluates results to strategize and choose the best solution and solve problems along side of the EPC.
· Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers daily.
· Able to identify performance gaps on their team and implement applicable SOP’s and tools from Reef University that will reenforce foundational learning for team members
· Understands and can teach quality ingredients, flavor profile, quality identifiers, and various cooking techniques.
· Ensures compliance with food handling safety and sanitation standards.
· Follows proper food handling, preparation, and storage of food in ways that prevent food-borne illness. Astute knowledge of time and temperature control including all temperature Danger Zones of all food products.
· Ensures all associates are treated fairly and equitably to provide a safe and healthy work environment.
· Ensures associates maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
· Alongside of the EPC, ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
· Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
· Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with associates and ensures associates do the same within the team.
· Solicits associate feedback, utilizes an open-door policy and reviews associate satisfaction results to identify and address associate problems or concerns.
· Empowers associates to provide excellent customer service. Establishes guidelines so associates understand expectations and parameters. Ensures associates receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
· Review’s customer review daily report and other data to identify areas of improvement.
· Can teach and train there team how to cook a variety of cuisines for day-to-day operations or for special guests and or functions.
· Check the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
· Demonstrate and teach new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
· Other duties may be assigned and modified by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge and ability to demonstrate and teach different techniques and equipment for preparing and presenting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques and sanitation standards.
· Has Knowledge and ability to demonstrate and teach their team how to prepare and present meals utilizing culinary principles, standards, techniques, and equipment (e.g., grilling, sautéing, broiling, baking, using decorative food displays, following recipes).
· Ability to manage financial resources and determine how money will be spent to get work done and accounting for these expenditures.
· Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
· Ability to understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents and communicating effectively in writing.
· Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
· Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control (e.g., accounting and budgeting).
· Ability to gather and organize information using a logical and systematic process; recognize patterns and relationships in complex data; examine data to identify implications, problems
and draw appropriate conclusions; generate alternative solutions to problems; evaluate strengths, weaknesses and consequences of alternative solutions and approaches to solving problems.
· Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
· Ability to effectively adjust to major changes in work tasks or the work environment.
· Ability to a cohesive team and facilitating goal accomplishment.
· Proven track record as not only as a “coach/leader” leading others, but also having the willingness and ability to roll up the sleeves and engage in detailed execution when required.
· Ability to interact with others in an honest, fair and respectful way; giving others confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization.
· Skilled at clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media; engaging the audience and helping them understand and retain the message.
· Ability to gather and organize information relevant to a long-range goal or vision, develop alternative strategies, and execute a course of action to carry out strategy.
· Demonstrates agility and the ability to meet tight deadlines and make quick decisions in a very versatile environment
· 4+ years’ experience as Executive Sous Chef/ Kitchen Manager or similar role in a fast-paced environment preferred.
· Prior restaurant operations and leadership experience required.
· Associate’s degree or equivalent in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management or related field from an accredited university or specialized training program required.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
· Certifications: HACCP and Food Handling Certification.
What We’ll Provide
Medical Dental Vision
Life and Disability 401K Paid Time Off (PTO)